TUTTI FRUITY TAMALES
Tamales stuffed with delicious dried fruit make for a sweet treat you can eat on the go! These can also be made in advance and frozen.
2 cups masa harina or cornmeal
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1⁄3 cup shortening
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup water
1 teaspoon lime juice
24 corn husks
1⁄2 cup dried peaches
1⁄2 cup dried apricots
1⁄2 cup raisins
1⁄2 cup slivered almonds
1. Soak the corn husks in warm water for 1 hour. Drain off the water and pat the husks dry with a paper towel.
2. Mix together the cornmeal, salt, baking powder, shortening, sugar, water, and lime juice in a medium-sized mixing bowl to form a doughy texture. If the mixture seems too runny, add more cornmeal. If it seems too dry, add more water.
3. Place 1 heaping tablespoon of the cornmeal mixture in the center of each corn husk and pat down until it is about 1⁄4-inch thick.
4. Cut the dried peaches and apricots into 1⁄4-inch pieces. Mix together the peaches, apricots, raisins, and almonds.
5. Add 1 tablespoon of the fruit mixture to the center of the dough on each corn husk. Roll up the husks so the mixture is centered in the husk.
6. Steam for 30 minutes.
No Steamer? No Problem! If you don’t have a steamer, add 1 inch of water to a large pot and place a stainless steel mixing bowl in the pot. Put the tamales in the mixing bowl and turn the heat on medium-high. Cover and check every 5 minutes to make sure the water doesn’t boil away.