REFRIED BEANS : MEXICAN FOOD RECIPE
For a vegetarian version of these beans, use a stick of butter in place of lard and add a dash of cumin and liquid smoke.
2 cups dried pinto beans
8 cups water, divided
1 large white onion
1⁄2 cup lard
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1. Soak the beans overnight in 4 cups water.
2. Drain off the water and rinse the beans. Bring 4 cups water to boil in a medium saucepan. Add the beans and cover; boil for 5 minutes. Lower heat to medium and simmer for 2 hours.
3. Remove the skin from the onion and chop into 1⁄4-inch pieces.
4. Melt the lard in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion, salt, and pepper; sauté on medium heat for about 10 minutes or until the onion is tender.
5. Mash the beans with a potato masher. Add the mashed beans to the lard and onion; stir lightly to combine.
6. Cook on medium heat until the liquid evaporates.