JALAPENO CHICKEN : MEXICAN FOOD RECIPE
Spicy and sweet, this chicken dish is one you’ll want to keep in rotation, as it requires little prep and pays off with big flavors. Serve with cheesy cornbread and fresh squeezed limeade.
1 (21⁄2- to 31⁄2-pound) whole chicken
4 garlic cloves
4 fresh jalapeño peppers
1 cup orange juice
1 cup honey
1⁄4 cup lime juice
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Wash the chicken and cut it into eight serving pieces.
3. Remove the skin from the garlic. Remove the stem and seeds from the jalapeño peppers.
4. Put the garlic, peppers, orange juice, honey, lime juice, salt, and cayenne pepper in a blender or food processor; blend on medium setting for 5 minutes or until the peppers and garlic are well chopped up.
5. Place the chicken in a roasting pan. Brush the glaze on the chicken liberally but save about half for later.
6. Cook for 11⁄2 hours. After 30 minutes, turn the chicken and again glaze liberally. After another 30 minutes, turn the chicken over again and use the remaining glaze.
Cayenne Pepper We often overlook cayenne pepper as a spice, but it does some interesting things, especially when added to chocolate. It loses most of its flavor while retaining the heat. And, most interesting, it literally heats up a person’s body. It was the secret ingredient of the chocolatier in the movie Chocolat.